Thursday 23 April 2015

Ten books which inspired me to travel - part 1

Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Jules Verne) and Journey to the Volcano (Rose Tremain)
Let’s start with one of my favourite topics; volcanoes! I’ve been fascinated by them since childhood, and these are two books I read quite early on which made me want to go and see them for myself. Verne’s classic features characters entering the bowels of the Earth via a European volcano, which fired up my imagination, whilst Tremain’s children’s book, which is out of print now, tells the story of a young British-Sicilian boy who is whisked off to his mother’s village on the slopes of Mount Etna, and finds himself and his family caught up in a devastating eruption. This is one of the two volcanoes I’ve managed to reach so far, and climbing it was an amazing experience.

Have any books inspired you to travel?

By Rachel Bickley

No comments:

Post a Comment